Monday, January 21, 2013

A new year and a old idea

Ok, so we are well into January, 2013, and I am going to try to write something at least monthly...we will see how that goes!  First of all, my granddaughter has just passed her one year mark - cancer free!  Like the saying goes, she kicked cancers butt!!  I love you, M.

I have spent a lot of time reading, as the weather has been lousy so going outside is no fun most of the time.  To me, cold, wet winters = more time to read.  My daughter brought me a book when the family visited for Thanksgiving, titled The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society!  I know, the name just invites a look see anyway.  She said that Stephanie Meyers (of Breaking Dawn fame) had suggested it.   I was reading something else at the time but I just kept looking at that name and had to peek at it a bit.  I finally just picked it up and started reading, which meant I was now reading two books at once ( three really but that's another story).  In a nutshell:

It is a "story" told through letters. These letters take you deep into lives lived under the expectation of cruelty or confiscation of homes, lives, livelihoods, etc. on a German occupied small island called Guernsey, in the UK. Only by these letters are you taken down the paths of these individuals lives, as the more you "correspond" with someone, the more you learn about them, a little here and there, always with the ability to eventually feel their personality. Texting and email have sadly taken the place of the one on one, back and forth of letter writing.  They are too hurried and too impersonal. They do not allow the writer the quietness of mind that is needed to convey a true and lasting thought.  

By the way, authors are Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

Cleverly devised, it also made me want to go and see this island, which I someday hope to do.  The description of the boat ride to the island, however, made me realize the need for my sea-sickness meds!

No comments:

Post a Comment