Wednesday, February 20, 2013

It's February...but spring is coming!

I said it would write each month this year and this one is almost over!  I am sitting in sunny Florida, while its still cold and possibly snowy in NC.  yes!! Brought a little of the cold stuff with us, but it's really nice now.

I was watching a program on TV with some of the Sowell clan last night. It involved children talking to their father about going into a "retirement" center.  He agreed to go see it so off they went.  It was actually quite a nice place, and he would have had his own apartment and the luxury of having someone clean it for him! And...3 square meals a day that he didn't have to prepare.  Ok, sounds good so far! (I think women understand this better than men because they are usually the ones who do the cleaning and 3 squares in the first place, but I digress.  Ok, the cost was astronomical, but really what more could you want.  Someone would take you shopping if you wanted to go, and it seemed like everyone was having a great old time.  This father, though, would have none of it.  "my friends are where I live".....I don't thinks he wanted to make new ones.  He ate pretty well, sat and watched TV, and each day he went to see his lifelong friends, a table full of other old guys, who sat and drank coffee and laughed and talked and carried on...and then probably went home for a nap and some TV watching as well.  Ok, so he probably needed more exercise.  But there is something to be said about old friends and naps.  And there is something to be said about being I your own home, even if it does have 4 bedrooms that you don't use, because you fall asleep in your easy chair, in front of the TV. He would not allow them to send anyone in to check on him either.  He didn't want 'strangers' in his house.  And really, when you think about it what are they going to do anyway?  If he's dead then there is nothing they could do anyway, except call the family and say, " he's gone". And if he IS alright, then they probably came at his nap time and woke him up!

The closer I get to this time of my life, the more I like what this guy was saying, which is, "I worked my whole life, children of mine, and now I get to do what I want to do when I want to do it!". Selfish? Yes, maybe, but daggone it, I deserve it!!  And when I get to the point in my life where I have decided I need something more, I will let you know.

I'm going to take a nap now.  Love and hugs, nana

No comments:

Post a Comment